Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Trip Down the Food-Memory Lane

I would say my title sounds cliché, just like the food at Guevarra’s.

Once a spa before it was turned into a restaurant, the house’s owners decided they wanted to do something different with it, and since it was an ancestral house among many others in San Juan, they thought it would be nice to turn it into a buffet restaurant.

My classmates and I paid 447Php for the buffet lunch in the acclaimed restaurant, and ate main dishes by none other than Chef Laudico himself and pastries by his wife Chef Jackie.

The restaurant is two years old, established in March 5, 2013. It offers caterings, and events hosting, weddings often being held at the garden. The house can accommodate 200 people, and it is mostly fully-booked especially at lunch time, when the food is cheapest. Weekends are more special because of seafood and other dishes, and they pride themselves for their roast beef, lechon, and leche flan.

It was nice seeing a restaurant so tastefully presented: Filipino, down to the core. It was situated in a good neighborhood as well, although not too accessible to the masses. Then again why would the masses want to pay 500 pesos for lunch?

As for the food itself, it was pleasant enough; I liked it – I would even say I loved it, especially the roast beef. But I didn’t taste anything different in the dishes. I thought they could be cooked – maybe even better – by my mother.

I guess it would be great for balikbayans, or for people who have not tasted Filipino food at all. It would be a good “coming home” or “first time” experience. But I wouldn’t come back a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment